Norman Bethune College of Medicine of Jilin University
Present Norman Bethune College of Medicine of Jilin University was founded as the former Norman Bethune University of Medical Science by Marshal Nie Rongzhen in September 1939 in Tang county of Hebei Province in the Jinchaji Anti-Japanese Resistance Base. The College of Medicine is named after the outstanding Canadian Thoracic Surgeon, Dr. Norman Bethune. Jilin University (JLU) is located in Changchun, the capital city of Jilin Province in China .Founded in 1946; it is one of the key extensive research universities directly under the Ministry of Education. JLU is the largest university in China and is ranked among the top 10 key universities in China.
All the doctoral programs and master’s degree programs covering all the clinical medicine specialties are available for international students who want to work on master’s or doctoral degree in Norman Bethune College of Medicine. Now the college has 4552 faculty and staff members in which there are 82 doctoral and 377 master’s degree advisors. Not only can undergraduates enjoy an excellent learning environment, but also graduate students benefit from opportunities of working in national laboratories and doing research in national projects, under the guidance of learning scientists, eminent professors and academicians. Many world-renowned experts conduct joint research with our faculty members; overseas students from all over the world come to Jilin University.
Full-time undergraduate programs include Clinical Medicine (of five years, six years, seven years and eight years), Dental Medicine, Chinese Medicine, Rehabilitation Medicine, etc. The hospital has 952 beds. There are 14 teaching and research groups; 43 clinical, medical and technological sections. The institute has two key disciplines of the Ministry of Health (otolaryngological and neck surgery, and orthopedics). Through all the years of development the hospital is well-known for cardiovascular diseases diagnosis and treatment, trauma treatment and tissue organ transplantation.
There are three attached Teaching Hospitals of Jilin University. Welcome international students come to study in JLU.
MBBS Program in English
1. An Introduction to MBBS Program: MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) program in Norman Bethune College of Medicine, which began in June 2005, is a program provided for international undergraduates. All the courses in the program are taught in English. And it usually has 6 or 7 academic years. The whole process of education of the international students is carried out according to The Quality Standards and Regulations for Medical Education of International Undergraduates taught in English promulgated by Ministry of Education of People’s Republic of China. Until now, there are altogether 200 international students enrolled in this program, most of whom come from India, Nepal and other South Asian countries. The international students study the following courses such as Physiology, Histology & Embryology, Human Anatomy, Microbiology, Immunology, Biochemistry & molecular biology, Pathology, Pharmacology, Diagnosis, Internal Medicine, Surgery, and so on. The Office of International Students and Foreign Affairs in Norman Bethune College of Medicine is responsible for the recruitment and management of international students, the management of teaching activities, and so on.
2. Characteristics: Outstanding Faculty: after a careful selection, about a prominent teaching facuty with the number of five hundred take part in MBBS program, most of whom have the experience of studying or working abroad including many famous professors hired aboard. ULMLE Training Program: the college has invited some professors who are also clinicians working in USA to give lectures to international students on USMLE (United States Medical Licensing Examination). These series of training programs aim at helping international students to pass USMLE. Early Participation in Medical Scientific Research Programs: Norman Bethune College of Medicine supplies about 30 medical scientific research programs for international students to participate in. Till today, more than 50 outstanding international students have taken part in those programs. Internships: Norman Bethune College of Medicine helps international students get access to practical internship in three attached teaching hospitals( also the top three hospitals in Changchun, Jilin Province), which is supposed to be helpful to their medical career in the future. Tutors for International Students: Tutors are provided in Norman Bethune College of Medicine to help international students adapt to new environment; they also give them advice and guidance on their studies.
3. Core Courses: Human Anatomy, Histology & Embryology, Microbiology, Immunology, Biochemistry & molecular biology, Physiology, Pathology, Pharmacology, Diagnosis, Internal Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Neurology, Community medicine, Psychiatry, Rehabilitation Medicine, Emergency medicine.
4. Major Experimental Activities: experiments for basic medicine, hospital visits, and internships.
5. Study Duration: 6 years.
6. Degree to be awarded: Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery.
Introduction of Programs for Postgraduates:
Norman Bethune College of Medicine, Jilin University offers postgraduates programs taught in English for international students, which is outstanding in medical education home and abroad. All the master’s and doctoral programs covering all the basic clinical medicine specialties are available for international students who want to work on master’s or doctoral degree here, the students could be taught both in English and Chinese.
Norman Bethune College of Medicine, Jilin University will help the outstanding graduate students apply for the “JLU Scholarship of Outstanding International Students”’