The AAMC serves and leads the academic medicine community to improve the health of all.
Founded in 1876 and based in Washington, D.C., the Association of American Medical Colleges is a not-for-profit association dedicated to transforming health care through innovative medical education, cutting-edge patient care, and groundbreaking medical research. Its members comprise all 145 accredited U.S. and 17 accredited Canadian medical schools; nearly 400 major teaching hospitals and health systems, including 51 Department of Veterans Affairs medical centers; and more than 80 academic societies. Through these institutions and organizations, the AAMC serves the leaders of America’s medical schools and teaching hospitals and their 148, 000 faculty members, 83, 000 medical students, and 115, 000 resident physicians.
Through its many programs and services, the AAMC strengthens the world's most advanced medical care by supporting the entire spectrum of education, research, and patient care activities conducted by our member institutions. The AAMC and our members are dedicated to the communities we serve and steadfast in our desire to earn and keep the public's trust for the role we play in improving the nation's health.
The vision of the AAMC and its members is a healthy nation and world in which:
- America's system of medical education, through continual renewal and innovation, prepares physicians and scientists to meet the nation's evolving health needs.
- The nation's medical students, biomedical graduate students, residents, fellows, faculty, and the health care workforce are diverse and culturally competent.
- Advances in medical knowledge, therapies, and technologies prevent disease, alleviate suffering, and improve quality of life.
- The nation's health system meets the needs of all.
- Concern for compassion, quality, safety, efficacy, accountability, affordability, professionalism, and the public good guide the health care community.
- Medical schools and teaching hospitals continually earn the trust and support of the public for their special missions.