In order to be considered for admission to CDM, students must have:
- A Bachelor's degree from a US accredited college or Canadian institution is required.
- 6 credits, or the equivalent of one academic year of study, of coursework in English composition or literature or a writing intensive class in a non-English department
- 6 credits of Mathematics
- A minimum of 8 credits, or the equivalent of one academic year of study, in the following subject areas (including lab):
o 1 year of Physics
o 1 year of Biology
o 1 year of Inorganic or general chemistry
o 1 year of Organic chemistry
- 1 semester of Biochemistry
CDM also strongly recommends that students have university-level credits in: • sociology • history • the fine or industrial arts • and one or more foreign languages.
- An application to the College of Dental Medicine is available through the Associated American Dental Schools Application Service (AADSAS) sponsored by the American Dental Education Association (ADEA); Applications are accepted between the dates of June 1 and the end of December for each academic year. Applicants are strongly urged to submit all materials as early as possible, as applications are considered on a rolling basis. Forms can be obtained by contacting the American Dental Education Association (ADEA) directly:
1619 Massachusetts Avenue N.W.
Washington, DC 20036
AN APPLICATION FEE IS REQUIRED TO PROCESS YOUR APPLICATION; PLEASE SUBMIT THE FEE AT THE SAME TIME YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION TO AADSAS. NO SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION IS REQUIRED BY THE COLLEGE OF DENTAL MEDICINE.
- A non-refundable application processing fee in the amount of $75 must be submitted at the same time you submit your application to AADSAS. Application fees are not credited toward tuition.
- You can submit the payment online
Submit Application Fee via Credit Card
If you chose to send a check please note that Canadian postal money orders cannot be accepted. All Checks must be drawn in U.S. Dollars and mailed to our admissions office; be sure to include your name and AADSAS number on the check. Checks should be made out to “Columbia University”. Candidates may request a fee waiver, but must supply documentation from their current financial aid officer that confirms their eligibility.
Send payment to:
College of Dental Medicine
630 West 168th Street
New York, NY 10032
- All applicants must take the Dental Admission Test to be considered for admission. Official results should be reported via AADSAS. Unofficial copies will not be accepted as part of the application. For test and test registration information, prospective students should contact:
The Department of Testing Services
211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611
- Three CONFIDENTIAL letters of recommendation from science professors or one composite letter from a pre-health committee. Additional letters of recommendation from employers or non-science professors will be accepted, but will not satisfy the requirement. Official letters of recommendation are only sent directly to the AADSAS application service.
- Candidates should contact all former academic institution(s) to obtain official copies of academic records, which must be sent directly to AADSAS application service.
- If you are a physician with an M.D. degree from a US medical school interested in applying to dental school, you must follow the same application procedures listed above (including taking the DAT exam); you should also send us certified copies of your USMLE Step 1 and 2 along with a cover letter indicating you have applied via AADSAS. You should make sure your AADSAS number is on everything you send to our office.